What happens if you don’t renew your Domain Name on its expiry date?
- Your customers won’t be able to find you anymore and this of course means that they will not have access to the information that you provide about your company online.
- The brand that you have worked so hard to build up will be undermined.
- Your search engine ranking will need to be built up again and undoubtedly this will mean losing customers.
- You will need to change all your email addresses. You will have no further contact with your clients, no email orders or requests and potentially could lose contact with these clients, and of course friends.
- All your online services, like internet banking, online shopping, social networking etc, which use your email address as a log-in will need to be changed.
So as you can see, there could is a huge impact on your business if you don’t renew your domain name, however, perhaps the most important point to remember, is that if you don’t renew it, anyone else can register it , and they can do it within seconds of it being made available. As soon as this happens, they can receive all your hard earned website traffic, search engine rankings etc that have become associated with your domain name.
Recently, a very well known children’s gaming site, Club Penguin which is owned by Disney forgot to renew their domain name. The site was down for several days and surely caused them many headaches. The site was launched in 2005 and bought by the Walt Disney Corporation in 2007 for $350 million. It is an online world of mini games and chat rooms and they claim to have 12 million members. So, as you can see, even huge corporations can forget these details, surely they won’t do it again!
Normally there is a grace period of 30 days or more in same cases, to allow the Domain Name Owner to pay for the registration, before anyone can register your domain name.
Here at Netcetera, as a reminder, we send you an email with an attached invoice 14 days before the expiry date. You will also be able to check all your domain names which are ready to expire by logging into your client area and, they can be found under the header called “Upcoming Domain Renewals”.
Your domain name will be renewed automatically if we have your payment details on file, but in case we don’t have any up to date details, the payment will be rejected and your domain won’t be renewed.
Please make sure that your payment details and email address are up to date to avoid any problems with your domain name.
Your domain name is valuable – make sure you look after it.
If you have any questions please contact our Sales Team